30 March 2008

Zion Canyon/Death Valley Trip 2008

THE SUBWAY, UT
The Subway is the second most popular hike in Zion Canyon, the Narrows is the first. They National Park Service only allows 30 people a day into the Subway and a permit is required. We stopped by the park office early in the morning and were actually able to get permits, usually there is a line waiting and a lottery given to hand out the permits, we got lucky.
The technical way to hike the Subway is from the top down. That requires canyoneering knowledge and skill as well as gear (ropes, harnesses, pro, wetsuits, etc.) you will get wet. The non-technical way is from the bottom up only allowing you to go so far into the actual "subway" portion of the canyon and then hiking back out the way you came in. We opted for this route as I didn't bring any of my climbing gear.
The hike starts out with an 800 foot decent down the canyon cliff face (a climb that must be re-accomplished on the way out after 11 hours of brutal hiking). There is no established trail just following the river along the canyon floor. Most of the hike is route finding that will bring about a lot of back-tracking if you don't know the canyon well. Dad and Brook got caught in a thicket that took them about 20 minutes to get out of. I was the primary route finder hiking different stretches three or four times in order to find the safest route possible. If you get hurt in the Subway you will most likely be spending the night until rescue teams are able to find you the next day(s).
Dad slipped on a very technical part of the canyon while trying to negotiate his way along the side of the river. His 60 pound pack shifted and pulled him into the river. Brook and I were taking a different route that followed a sketchy trail straight up the cliff face when he went in. He fell into a hole about five-to-six feet deep and was engulfed by the river. His pack pulled him to the bottom and the only thing I could see for a terrifying few seconds was river. I jumped down and arrived at the river about the same time he exploded out, gasping for air. We pulled him out of the river and quickly accessed he was not injured but were now facing the real threat of hypothermia. I am not an Eagle Scout, I am only a Star, but I do follow the motto, "Be prepared" and one of my mentors is Les Stroud of Survivorman fame, so I was able to produce from my pack an extra pair of dry clothes that we quickly got Dad into. Another plus is my Dad and I have spent the extra money on good equipment including quick-drying hiking clothes, waterproof hiking boots and waterproof backpacks. So after about 20 minutes in the sun all of my dad's wet clothes were dry. ***the worst thing you can wear when hiking are levi-style jeans. Cotton absorbs water and does not dry when wet*** Once warm and dry we checked over the camera equipment and continued on our way.
It is essential you are in good shape for this hike. It is extremely arduous. It took us 12 hours round trip with minimal rest stops, about an hour of actual photography and carrying 60 pounds worth of camera gear in my dad's pack (I carried it on the way out). With normal gear and a fast pace you could do it about 10 hours. A lot of the guide books say 6-7 hours round trip, don't believe them.






This is where Dad fell in.

It is important to drink lots of water and stay hydrated when hiking. Even with full Camelbaks we ran out of water. You can either carry more water which equals more weight, start out carrying more water and stash it along the route in and drink it on the way out, or do what we did and bring along a water filter and filter drinkable water from the river.


ANTELOPE CANYON, AZ


Probably the most photographed slot canyon in the world but by no means is it technical. In 2005 a flash flood hit the slot canyon and killed 11 of the 12 tourists who were there. The only person to survive was the guide. He stripped naked which allowed him to pass through the canyon without getting snagged up. The bodies of the other 11 were eventually found in pieces at Lake Powell. Make sure you check the weather reports. A storm that occurs 40 miles away can flash flood the canyon even though it is bright and sunny.









This is what I do while my dad sets up his shots.

PAHREAH CEMETERY, PARIA CANYON, AZ

DEATH VALLEY, THE RACETRACK, CA


The Racetrack is a dry lake bed in Death Valley, CA that has a strange phenomena that doesn't occur any where else in the world...

The rocks move by themselves leaving long trails behind them on the lake bed. Science does not know how this happens. I think it has to do with the close proximity of Area 51.

Rehearsing for a lighting effect we were trying to produce for the photograph.

The dark hike out. I was afraid to look back because I was sure I would turn around and see 40 rocks following right behind me. That would be creepy.

Instead I only saw this wild man following me.

4 comments:

kc and k said...

31, eh?

cory said...

Great pictures and great fun. If I could, I would award you an honorary Eagle Scout!

BrookandDBeckham said...

What a brutal hike that was!! Seriously no one will ever know but you, Dad and me how hard it was.

said...

Wow, what a beautiful place! Definitely something I need to do before I pass on. Great pics, too! I agree with Cory, I've never thought of you as a Star Scout. You're an Eagle Scout if I ever knew one.